Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Sedentary Lifestyle

Well, here it is. 40 years old. The Sedentary lifestyle. The time of life when everything you do, you think to yourself, "wow I haven't done this in years."
Let's take swimming for example. Went to the gym, decided to swim enough laps to reach a milestone of some sort. I realized within a few days. First the chlorine zapped my 40 yr old skin! But, more importantly that it takes 33 full laps to swim a full mile!! At first I could do one lap. I can do 5 now. There was a time and not nearly a decade ago, that I could swim as many laps as I wanted.

Bought a hula-hoop yesterday not for exercise benefit, it simply looked like fun. Again something I haven't done, except this example; 20 years ago. Found that it has some exercise benefit, as well.

Recently I started feeling really bad. This is unfortunate as I had a very physical job. In technical terms an Industrial Athlete. A series of events that have taken place, do not allow me to be athletic enough to do the job. My mistake, I chose to do desk duty. (I won't do it long.) I decided to take the knowledge path in life, where I became paid for my knowledge. Now I'm rethinking it. Getting paid to stay in the best athletic shape possible might've been the good life key.

I'm laying around, just can't get up. Sleepier than I've ever been, not really seeing an end in sight. I make periodic trips to the gym. I do 3 days this week-then 2 weeks later I might go twice more. Nothing consistent. I also don't work very hard when I'm there.

So, said to a friend -going to the dr. Something is wrong. As I thought about what was wrong, I was starting to clue in. I go to the dr and he suggested a full physical. The results were exactly as I expected. You don't eat right, and you don't exercise enough-and if you don't do something about it, your heading down an inevetible medical path.

I know beter. I love Yoga, I love swimming, I love walking in the woods, and I even like going to the gym, but what I really like is sitting on the couch !! Napping on the couch...

My insulin is too high, my cholesterol was just under 300, my heart wasn't at it's best, and my weight is out of hand. Came home from that appt, motivated, not disappointed. She gave me 6 weeks to make changes. This is my chance to put the diet I know works for me, under the test. I will follow it to the letter. I will exercise. In 6 weeks we'll recheck my numbers. Here's to something good !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home